Now that I’m an adult, where should I live?

There are different living situations available in the Greater Los Angeles area for adults with special needs.

Housing Options

Family Home You may decide to live with your parents or other family members, with or without support from the Regional Center.

LAJAC-moving1Independent Living (owning or renting) Independent living means living in a house or apartment you either own or rent, with support as needed. This can include sharing an apartment or house with a roommate or caregiver.

Section 8 is a common name for the Housing Choice Voucher Program, funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program is the federal government’s main program for helping very low-income families, the elderly, and people with disabilities afford housing.

Someone who gets a voucher is responsible for finding a place to live where the owner agrees to rent under the rules of the program. This means you do not have to live in a housing project to use your voucher. You would be responsible to pay the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount paid by the program.

The waiting lists for Section 8 vouchers are very long, so sometimes local areas stop adding new people to their lists. Don’t get discouraged! Because this is a federal program, you can apply to be added to waiting lists for vouchers anywhere in the country. You might have to live in the area covered by the public housing authority that gives you your voucher for one year, but then you can use it anywhere a landlord is willing to accept it.

In some cases, it is possible for adults with special needs to own their own homes. There are many things to keep in mind when thinking about this, like the ongoing costs of a mortgage, taxes and repairs.

The National Home of your Own Alliance’s Home of Your Own Guide has useful information about home ownership. For more information about adapting homes and other affordable living options, contact United Cerebral Palsy.

Family Home Agency (FHA) Through the FHA, approved homes offer up to two adults the chance to live with, and be a part of, a family in the community.

Community Care Facilities (CCFs) – commonly called Group Homes Community Care Facilities (CCFs) are licensed homes  giving 24-hour care to adults with developmental disabilities. There are different levels of care, depending on the services needed by the people who live in each home.

Click here for questions to consider when touring a group home (CCF).

For more information regarding housing options in the Jewish community, including group homes, contact ETTA.

For more information regarding available living arrangements and services, and your rights, contact Disability Rights California.

Contact The Center for Independent Living Futures  for information about their resource guide outlining the Community Partnerships Model of Housing for Adults. This guide is designed to help you figure out different ways to create independent living situations.

SHARE! Collaborative Housing is a public-private partnership providing affordable, permanent supportive housing to disabled people in single-family houses in Los Angeles County.

Wherever you live, it’s important to learn how to take care of yourself to the best of your ability. Click here for information about doing laundry, personal hygiene, basic house cleaning and more.

What supports are available to help me live where I want?

In California, the services you might need to help you live in your home are managed by the Regional Center. Generally, these services fall into two main categories:

Independent Living Services (ILS) – These can include time limited training in areas such as cooking, cleaning, shopping, money management, etc. designed to help you learn the skills you need to live in the community with a little support. If you qualify, you can get ILS while living in your family’s home or a group home.

Supported Living Services (SLS) - These could include direct services and training to help you become more independent. For example, an assistant might help do the cooking or help you with bathing.   If you qualify, you can get SLS while living in your own home or apartment.

Click here to see some questions for you to think about when interviewing a supported living agency.

Your Regional Center Service Coordinator can help you figure out the types of supports you might need to help you become as independent as possible in your home.

For more information about housing options and available support, click here to be connected with an LAJAC Case Manager or Intake Specialist.

We want to hear from you! Click here to tell us what you think about this website.



Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt