Civic Engagement

Home / For Caregivers / Civic Engagement

Can my family member with special needs vote?LAJAC-vote

Every citizen is eligible to vote as long as he or she lives in California and is:

  • A United States citizen
  • At least 18 years old
  • Not in prison or on parole for a felony
  • Not told by a court that he or she cannot register to vote

To register, click here.

The 2016 Presidential election process is in full swing! For non-partisan commentary about where the candidates stand on issues affecting the disability community check out the Respectability Report.  Our voices…and our votes matter!


Does my loved one with special needs have to register for Selective Service?

Almost every male between the ages of 18 and 26 living in the United States must register for Selective Service regardless of ability. Click here for more information regarding exemptions and online registration.


Can my child with special needs obtain a California Identification Card?

Yes! The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) issues ID cards to people of any age or ability. The ID card looks like a driver’s license, but is used only for identification purposes. Typically, an ID card is valid for six years. However, if your adult is 62 years or older, s/he will be issued a senior citizen ID card, which is valid for 10 years.

To apply for an ID card:

  • Visit a DMV office with your adult and complete a DL 44 application form. To save time, click here to make an appointment at your local DMV field office.
  • Your adult will be asked to give a thumb print and to have a picture taken.
  • You must provide your adult’s Social Security number and birth certificate. His or her Social Security number will be digitally verified while you are at DMV.
  • Pay the $28 application fee. (There is no fee for a senior citizen ID card.)
  • Verify the address on the application.
  • The new ID will be mailed within 60 days. If the card has not been received after 60 days, call 1-800-777-0133 to check the status. Have the receipt and/or old ID card available to provide information when requested.


Can my child with special needs get a driver’s license?

LAJAC-driver Some people who have disabilities can obtain a driver’s license. Driving can be difficult for many with developmental disabilities, because it requires fast processing and problem solving.

The process for obtaining a driver’s license is the same for people with special needs as it is for everyone else. After driver’s training, passing both a written and driving test is required. The DMV will make reasonable accommodations as might be necessary for the written exam.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires driver’s training companies to make “reasonable accommodations” for people with disabilities.

Driver rehabilitation specialists work with people of all ages and abilities, exploring alternative transportation solutions for drivers with special needs.

To locate a professional in your area, call the Association for Driver Rehabilitation at 1-866-672-9466.

Click here for information about other transportation options in the Greater Los Angeles area.


How Does Having a Family Member with Special Needs Affect Disaster Preparedness Planning?

Here in southern California, it is a good idea for all citizens to have an emergency plan in case of earthquakes or other kinds of disasters. The American Red Cross offers information about earthquake preparedness and safety as well as disaster preparedness information specifically for people with disabilities.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) publishes a brochure that helps people with disabilities and those who care for them prepare for emergency situations.

 The Specific Needs Awareness Planning (SNAP) Registry is a voluntary disaster registry for residents of Los Angeles County that helps emergency personnel find citizens that might need additional help during a disaster due to special needs or a disability.

For more information about voting, Selective Service, driving, or disaster preparedness, click here to be connected with an LAJAC Case Manager or Intake Specialist.

We want to hear from you! Click here to tell us what you think about this website.


Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt